Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to explore the various principals of the Pythagorean Theorem. Throughout this web quest, there will be opportunities to listen, watch, read, and interact with online tools which will help you understand the Pythagorean Theorem. By the end of this lesson, we will learn and use the Pythagorean Theorem, which will help us solve a real-world problem involving a ladder. Are you ready? Get through thinking caps on and start by reading the “Task” below.
Your task for this web quest will be to explore the resources listed below. After you have explored the listed resources, you will create a Google Slides Presentation using your Google Account. After you have created a slide presentation showing your solution to the ladder problem listed below, please share your slide presentation using a shareable link.
Please use the following links to help you learn about the Pythagorean Theorem. Links have also been provided to help you create a Google Slides Presentation.
- Extra Pythagorean Theorem Help
- Using the Pythagorean Theorem (Step by Step Help)
- How to create a Google Slides Presentation
- How to share a Google Slides Presentation (Please share with my email address)
Your evaluation will be based on creating and sharing your Google Slides Presentation. Please review the rubric below to make sure you earn maximum points.
|Category||Proficient (3pts)||Developing (2pts)||Needs Improvement (1pt)|
|Slides||Slides are paced appropriately and contain a introduction slide, work slide, and solution slide.||Slides contain correct information but are not paced correctly using a variety of slides.||Slides are missing and content is lacking.|
|Grammar||Correct grammar throughout the presentation.||A few grammar errors.||Too many grammatical errors.|
|Correct Mathematics||All work is correct and is shown on a slide||Missing or incorrect work shown.||No work shown.|
|Creativity||Presentation contains photos, a variety of colors, and a consistent design.||At least 1 photo and some design.||Lacking photos and a consistent design.|
|Conclusion||The conclusion slide is correct and explains the solution verbally and graphically.||The conclusion is incorrect or does not explain the solution verbally or graphically.||The conclusion either does not exist or does a poor job of explaining the answer verbally or graphically.|
Please reflect on what you have learned using the following discussion board.
To extend your learning, please view the following link to learn more about “Special Right Triangles”. This will help you extend your learning and explain the 45, 45, 90 and 30, 60, 90 triangles. By doing this, you are getting ready to learn about SOH-CAH-TOA. This will be the introduction into Pre-Calculus and Trigonometry.
Special Right Triangles Introduction
Notes to the Teacher
This lesson contains the following learning targets.
- I can geometrically and algebraically understand the Pythagorean Theorem.
- I can use the Pythagorean Theorem to solve a real-world problem.
- I can use Google Slides to demonstrate my understanding of the Pythagorean Theorem and apply it to a real-world problem.
- I can reflect on my understanding of the Pythagorean Theorem.
- I can extend my learning by reading about Special Right Triangles.
Helpful Hints and Tips for lesson delivery.
- Make sure all students have an internet enabled device.
- Student will need to have Google accounts to create a Google Slides Presentation.
- Students will need to be provided with an email to share their Google Slides Presentation.